Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Last day in Rome!

After our unreal day in the Vatican, Sunday was sort of like a Rome clean up day - we hit up everything we hadn't seen yet. There is so much to see in Rome - we could've spent another week there and still been entertained. We went back to our favorite restaurant (the one we had gone to the first night) for our last meal in Rome. Another delicious plate of pasta!!!

mmm

Then it was time for a canoli. So the first canoli was delicious, but what I ate on this afternoon in Rome defied explanation. Jordan and I had both had Sicilian canolis - which have chocolate chips and a piece of fruit on top along with the sweet cream inside. Jordan described it as "divine," which almost does it justice but not really. This canoli was absolutely, by far, the most delicious creation I have ever tasted. I am never eating a canoli again unless I have it in Italy (I've heard Sicily has the best). Here it is in all its glory. I look at this picture frequently.
OMG I WANT ANOTHER ONE
So after the amazingness that was the canoli, we took a stop at Santa Maria Maggiore (another beautiful church) and continued our walk to Villa Borghese, which is a big park in northern Rome. I'll try to describe how romantic and adorable this park was, but again I just can't. We walk in and someone is playing a violin. We continued our walk and found the cutest lake, which was surrounded by a little temple and a fountain, where people were paddling rowboats while the leaves fell and the birds were chirping. We couldn't even believe it. People were riding around with children on bikes, we saw a little train that carried kids through the park, we saw ponies and a horse pulling a carriage, it never stopped. I felt like I was in a really cheesy romance novel, except that no one could have even made this up. There was also a really cool giant arena in the middle of the park. Only in Rome! 
Santa Maria Maggiore
you would not even believe how romantic this spot was

Italian flag in the sky!

adorable train running through the park

that little girl jumped up on there right after I got down

seriously?

random arena in the park! yes, that's me in the middle
    That night was our train to Florence. We were very, very sad to leave Rome but also very excited to see Florence. My three days in Rome could not have gone better. We all agreed that we wouldn't have changed a single minute of it. I also would pay money to do everything over again exactly how I did it this time. I can't rave about Rome enough. Fantastic. Florence post to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment