Thursday, September 30, 2010

Switzerland continued!

Zurich Day 2: CHOCOLATE

We slept in the next day because we were so exhausted from the night before. There isn't too much to do in Switzerland, but we really wanted to get a better look at the Alps so we thought we'd do an excursion of some type. We looked through some pamphlets and the Let's Go book and (from the book) found out that you can rent bikes for free until 9:30. We thought that we'd bike a little ways and see how we felt. Well, our little bike ride turned into a 5-hour marathon that almost got us the entire way around Lake Zurich! Our first priority, however, was to find the Lindt Chocolate Factory. We had seen it on the shore during our boat cruise (my camera broke when we saw it so I don't have a picture, but I'll just say that it was a beautiful sight). It felt like we biked forever and we still couldn't find it (it didn't seem that far on the boat cruise). I turned to Katie and said "I wonder how much farther we'll have to go." Maybe two seconds later, all three of us were saying "OMG."
I can't say that I have ever found the smell of a sidewalk delicious, but this was unbelievable. The entire block smelled like chocolate. I could practically taste it in the air, the smell was that strong.  We had finally found the factory, but we couldn't find the gift shop! After some searching we managed to locate it and there were FREE SAMPLES. I only took a couple, but they were perfection.
happiness

beauty
I got a dark chocolate caramel Intense bar and loved every bite of it. It didn't last very long. We continued on our trek around Lake Zurich and towards the Alps! I loved the way the houses were set up along the lake. It is hilly all around, so the way the houses were set up almost every one of them seemed to have a great view of the lake unobstructed by the house below it. On our way, we stopped to take a drink and ended up next to a herd of sheep. They started ramming up against the fence and baa-ing like crazy at us! My friend has a video of it that is pretty funny, I will try to get a copy. I didn't realize how much havoc we would cause in the farmland! 
new friends!
We kept riding and looking for a good spot to get some pictures. The Alps are amazingly majestic. It's hard to really understand how giant and towering they are without being there but here are some pictures to help.
breathtaking

Me + Alps!

stunning
I really don't think there are enough adjectives to describe what it was like riding through the Alps. The scenery was the most beautiful I had ever seen. I could definitely get used to living on Lake Zurich! Though I would probably need to rob a bank to even consider it. The skiing must be incredible! That night we just hung out at a bar in the hotel lobby. The cotton-eyed joe came on and no one danced so naturally we had to get up and show them how Americans do it! We got a lot of stares. I guess they aren't used to line dancing. They did this strange dance to a German song, and we ended up hearing it again and again at Oktoberfest. Thankfully we had some practice from Zurich! Here a couple last action shots I got of us riding on our bikes. It is not easy to take a picture and ride at the same time!
We <3 free bikes

dominating the Tour de Switzerland


No comments:

Post a Comment