Wednesday, December 22, 2010

My (hopefully) final post abroad

I'm laying in bed and can't sleep so I felt I should have some type of last post to wrap up what has been a crazy semester! Even though these last few days have been pretty depressing being stuck in London instead of at home with my family, I thought I'd reflect on the highlights of the trip before I head out.

Favorite City: Rome

I could talk about Rome all day long. The three days I spent in Rome were definitely the highlight of the last three months. The combination of the amazing weather (after a month and a half of constant rain), the unbelievable sights (St. Peter's and the view from the top of it were absolutely incredible), and the delicious food (pasta, pizza, gelato, yummm) made for a fabulous three days. Florence was a close second, but the history of the Ancient Roman ruins, the majesty of Vatican City, and the overall beauty of Rome put it at the top of my list.

Least Favorite City: Barcelona

Don't feel the need to explain.

Favorite Church: St. Peter's

I saw many, many churches in Europe but none came anywhere close to St. Peter's (and it's free to get in!). Enormous, majestic, beautiful, overwhelming, there are not enough adjectives to describe this church. No picture will ever do it justice. The size, the art, the feeling you get inside, it can't be matched.

Favorite Museum: The Louvre

Another obvious choice but hey, it didn't get its reputation for no reason. Spending a few hours in there only made me realize how little of it I could actually see in that time. The Mona Lisa isn't much to see, but the hallway next to it of Renaissance painting blows your mind. There is really a masterpiece around every corner. The building is an architectural masterpiece, a castle of gigantic proportions. And they filled the whole thing up!

Most Fun Experience: Oktoberfest

Yet again, obvious, but I feel like my experience was extra special. I would never take back staying at that campground. The friends I made at Oktoberfest were the most interesting and fun group of people I have ever met. I stayed with them in Dublin, Cork, and Budapest and had lunch with one yesterday to say goodbye. Even though we only spent two days together, I really feel like I will stay in touch with them for a very long time. I know they will be giving me a call when they are in the United States.

Favorite part of the UK: Cambridge

Absolutely gorgeous. Oxford was nice, but Cambridge totally has it beat. I walked along the River Cam for hours and never wanted it to end. It is way better than Cambridge, Mass (just don't tell all my friends at home that).

Favorite London site: Tower of London

I used to love studying history, and this place was full of it. It made me understand the monarchy a lot better as well. The crown jewels were spectacular! You can really get a sense of the history and tradition behind the monarchy being there. I spent hours there and didn't even notice. It was great. Westminster Abbey was really cool as well, but the overcrowded rooms of deceased royalty was a little uncomfortable (and I definitely wouldn't want to get married there if I could get married at St. Paul's, no offense William and Kate).

Favorite Nationality: Australians and Irish

The Brits were not terribly friendly the last few months, but the Australians and Irish totally made up for it. I mean, how many people would let three American college students stay with them after meeting them for two days? (Thanks Michael and Lynne!) When we went to Ireland, the people we had met from Oktoberfest were so helpful in getting us around and showing us their favorite parts of Ireland the stuff we were dying to see (BLARNEY STONE). The Australians in my dorm were extremely friendly and always ready for a good time (they would even get up at 5 am on Saturdays to watch Aussie rules football games). I just saw Cara, who I met at Oktoberfest and is originally from Australia, for one last lunch before I leave.

Favorite Food: THE CANOLI

I really can't even explain how good this canoli was. Wow. Imagine the best thing you have ever eaten and multiply by it by like, a million.

Things I will miss about London:
1. Indian food
2. the music at bars/clubs
3. sitting at a table and realizing everyone at it is from a different continent
4. seeing things I recognize from Harry Potter/Spice World
5. Kate Middleton
6. Cheryl Cole
7. being a train ride away from multiple countries
8. free museums/galleries
9. the parks
10. the people I have met

Things I am looking forward to in America
1. 5$ footlongs at Subway
2. normal class schedule
3. not sharing a bathroom with 30 people
4. gossip magazines with people I've actually heard of
5. larger portions
6. peanut butter
7. the dollar
8. a couch and a television
9. airports that know how to clear snow
10. my family and friends

Well I fell that that wraps things up! I will be back in Philadelphia some time around the 8th or 9th and will see everyone some time around then! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

-Lucas

No comments:

Post a Comment